Tuesday 11 November 2008

Project 4

I've been working at this for a couple of weeks now and am now onto the 4th project module which involves 3D scanning. This has been more challenging as the results are less predictable.
From mix +

I had a bag full of threads and textiles that I had acquired from the embroiderers Guild course that I attended this year. They were just "thrown" onto the scanning bed and the bits of fabric placed randomly on top. For the first scan I switched off the light in the room and for the second I left the light on. When I compared the results there was very little difference so for convenience I left the light on for the all other versions of Random Threads.
From mix +
From mix +

The next set of objects were chosen at random from a selection I had around the computer; which is situated in the office / ironing room and general junk storage area in our house, and from the kitchen. A box was used to enclose the objects but the inside of the box was white - not black.
From mix +

I lined the box with a dark towel in the next scan. This gives a much warmer feel overall, although largely similar in content to the last one.
From mix +

Onions feature in the next images. These are home-grown and therefore important to me. Scanning them in the box lined with non woven fabric was one way I chose to scan them. Although this was not technically very well executed, I like the illusion that the onions are actually laying in the box, when the are not at all. The box is merely there, in this case to stop them rolling off the scanner. The box was lined in non-woven fabric. The problem with onions is that the onion skins leave a lot of debris on the scanner and can spoil the illusion. For this reason great care needs to be taken to keep the glass free from any dirt,
From mix +

No comments:

Post a Comment